Goodnight [as Kitsune^2] (DJzAIKz)
Offset: 0.193 -> good but has beat 0 problem
BPM: 190.085, drift 3ms -> good
5.243 - jump
6.822 - you're completely ignoring the instrument providing the melody.
26.549 - the freeze beginning here is the same musical tone as the freeze that's ending. Consider shortening the previous freeze and putting these two on the same finger.
28.443 - aw, after that little color blip back at 14.713, there isn't one here?
31.126 & 36.650 & 38.702 - see 26.549
45.015 - ignores the bit-crushed drums when they're pretty audible.
55.589 - see 26.549
57.010 - other sounds are ignored again, but they're doing more interesting things than 4ths.
58.272 - this same thing already went on for quite a while at 15.344; sure you want 19 seconds of even more jumpstream?
59.219 - and this is a repetitive bit of jumpstream. (The next four jumps are the exact same as the four after them.)
68.531 - I do like these freezes for the cymbals, though.
78.474 - there's 8th stream here, but you drop it again as soon as the melody comes in and just stick to blue notes...
79.579 - see 26.549
81.473 - see 28.443; also, this could be a jump because there are definitely two distinct tones here.
84.156 - see 26.549
87.786 - you brought the 8th stream back, but there's a missing note here.
89.680 & 91.731 - see 26.549
93.625 - okay, what. These 4 freezes are totally messed up in terms of pitch. The two 4ths should probably be on the same finger, and the two 8ths should definitely be on different fingers.
95.046 - these ones too, actually. There are five notes here, but only the third and fifth ones are the same pitch, and yet this is a trill.
98.044 - see 45.015
98.676 - you're ignoring the melody again.
108.619 - see 26.549
110.039 - jump; also see 57.010
This file has pitch relevancy problems, and also ignores some of the more interesting parts to the song which provide for variation. Nearly a third of the file is jumpstream; that's not really going to hold people's attention.
0.193 - there's no way that 4th jacks are valid for this section, because there's only one instrument going on and it doesn't stick to the same tone.
5.243 - you've ignored the melody again and instead just gone with the louder instrument.
15.344 - then you completely ignore the louder instrument (drums) and go back to that many-toned instrument.
24.182 - and there's nothing to differentiate this part from the previous stream, even though it's musically very different.
27.654 - things like this create triples, also called hands, under the StepMania definition. Many people have keyboards that don't support three keys being pressed at the same time. Do something about these, whether it's shortening the freeze or changing the jump to a single note.
28.917 - and these are worse to hit with a keyboard that doesn't support them. See 27.654 to fix.
30.495 - pitch relevancy dictates that this and the freeze at 30.179 are different notes. This crossing back and forth in a one-handed pattern is just silly. And oh look, more triples.
34.125 - should be different note than 33.809
40.911 - should be same note as 40.596
42.490 - should be different note than 42.174
42.648 - should be same note as 42.332
43.121 - all three jumps here should be the same jump, or three different jumps depending on which instruments you've chosen to follow.
45.646 - I wasn't calling out the pitch relevancy changes which would create 8th minijacks, but I didn't expect to see 8th minijacks later on anyway that were already correct in terms of pitch.
67.111 & 77.211 - see 24.182
81.473 - should be different note than 80.999
95.519 - should be different note than 95.204
95.677 - should be same note as 95.361
99.780 - the freeze should be a different note than 99.465
116.352 - see 0.193
0.193 - wow, this bit is actually really cool.
Otherwise, two comments.
1) The difficulty is all over the place. 15.344 begins a harder set of jumps than anywhere else in the file, and this is right near the beginning. Then a three-note 8th jack appears at 44.384, and jumps with minijacks start happening. This is in contrast to the gentle, melodic stream before.
2) This is mainly caused by the melody, but some places like 31.126 have a LOT of empty space, not even freezes. You're allowed to use freezes in Easy.
Beginner: (NPS: 1.05 < 2)
78.632 - this is awesome.
98.676 - this part differs from others like 103.726; just mentioning because this chart otherwise gives a ton of notes to the snare.
(T) Technique - sim author's skills in pattern manipulation
(S) Sync - offset, BPM shifts, no misrhythms (obvious errors)
(I) Interpretation/Expression - creativity and imagination in translating the music, evoking meaningfulness in the file
(E) Engagement - fun, replayable and shows no signs of dragging the player along
(F) Flow - matching scales/chord progression, proper structure to the file, good transitions
(A) Additional deductions
-> BPM is correct, beat 0 offset issue - please fix this before sending your files from now on, otherwise they will not be put up in the future
Hard: 2/3/3/2/3/(0) [13/15] - Accept
- acceptable PR usage in the introduction
- 15.344: cymbal crashes in your chart are usually accented with triples, so this one should be as well
- 25.129: you can add a triple here if you'd like; it's a bit more optional here since the kick is somewhat cut off
- 25.445: missing triple for cymbal crash.
- 25.445 to 57.957: these areas would look really nice if the instrument you were following with freezes had a bit more relevance.
- 45.331: add an arrow for the cymbal crash (this one doesn't have to be a triple because there's no bass drum with it)
- 58.272: missing triple
- 58.272 to 67.111: by this point, you've been doing jump/tap patterns for a good while now, which gets a little draggy/boring. With the song getting less intense, you could take this chance to lighten your chart down a bit (perhaps only put jumps on beats 2 and 4 to accent the claps?).
- 68.373 to 78.158: not bad - the visual appearance of this area is different than the later area because you put really short freezes on 8ths for the hi-hats
- 78.790: remove this 4th note, since you only follow the 8th notes in the bass after this note
- 78.474 to 95.835: I see some pretty good relevance to the bass here, but the melody that you have with freezes is more noticeably incorrect in terms of relevance to the melody. Try to make it a bit more accurate in terms of pitch.
Overall, file isn't bad. Structure and layering are clearly there, but the file could use a few technical improvements/additions.
Medium: 3/3/3/2/2/(0) [13/15] - Accept
- hmm, not sure about the first five seconds. What you have on Easy is a bit more acceptable than here. Place steps at these particular spots and see if this rhythm works for you: 0.193, 0.351, 0.509, 0.824, 0.982, 1.298, 1.456, 1.771, 1.929, 2.245, 2.402, and 2.560. If you do end up with something like this, continue on with this rhythm while mixing up your patterns a bit so that they are appropriate with the melody.
- 5.243 to 13.766: Your chart looks like Easy here, with the exception of having freezes for the melody. Have you considered adding the melody that plays at 5.243, 6.822, 7.137, 7.453, (etc)? It'll give your Medium chart a different appearance and a different feel from both Easy and Hard if you do this.
- 15.344 to 25.129: this is ok, I guess.
- 25.129 to 57.957: this is much more interesting, though. Gives players a bit of a challenge on Medium with some tricky freezes, while making the rhythms/patterns more than manageable.
- 58.272 to 68.373: Similar to the Hard chart, tone this area down a little bit. If you take the suggestion I gave you for the very beginning of the song, you can apply it here as well and it would work just fine.
- 116.351: same with beginning notes if you follow them. 4th notes don't work well with this particular melody.
Good as a medium chart. Again, a little draggy in some spots simply because of repeating the same 8th note runs, but nothing that can't be easily tolerated.
Easy: 3/2/3/3/3/(0) [14/15] - Strong Accept
- very nice attention to detail for the first 15 seconds.
- 28.443/31.126/33.020/34.125/(etc): add freezes to longer notes like these, so the player has something to keep their attention on. Plus, it's more accurate with the music.
- 58.588: nice! I like how the first melody has tap/jump/tap/jump, but here, you just do the jumps and nothing else. A very appropriate cooldown.
Very good easy chart. Add freezes to fill in any huge gaps (and to be a bit more accurate to the music).
Beginner: 2/2/2/2/2/(0) [10/15] - Reject
first tap: 0.193; last tap: 120.839; length: 120.646; taps: 126; NPS: 1.04
- within NPS threshold
- 58.272 to 77.211: not enough steps here, just following the synth creates roughly four second gaps.
- 78.473 to 95.834: this part doesn't work well. Remember, beginner players are looking for something very easy to follow, and this doesn't do that rule justice. Try to follow the melody that plays here, keeping things reasonable for beginner charts. Before this, you had a chart that does a great job introducing some 8th notes into the mix, why not follow that rule by following the melody? (Try this: place notes at 78.473 [cymbal crash], and 79.105, 79.578, 80.367, 80.998, and 81.472 [melody]. If this works out for you, apply the same rules later in that particular section.)
- 111.300: make this a longer freeze (like your other difficulties) to indicate to the player that there might still be more steps coming.
Fix 58.272 to 95.834. It's a pretty big chunk of chart.
thanks for the reviews will be fix soon
I just checked the email DJ I don't see the resubmission.
Welp gonna check it
Last edited by Saphira; 06-23-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Goodnight by Kitsune^2
HARD: I just played this file and well, to be honest, you really are improving a lot DJz. The only minor issue is that I feel that the stops feel a tad sudden, but that's just minor, I actually enjoyed playing this chart and hopefully you can continue to improve your stepping skills, and who knows, you might eventually be as good as Kommisar, wc, gundam-dude, and other stepmania's great simfile artists~ 8.75/10 It's an accept from me~
MEDIUM: same thing as I said with your hard chart. No real commentary on it but the mini-hold-jacks can certainly be a tad troublesome for those who are not consistent, but other than that, it's no trouble. 8.25/10 It's an accept~
EASY: Just like in medium, you had the jacks in it, and it's just a suggestion, but perhaps you can change it from jacks to trills, but that's how I would handle it for Easy, but other than that, no real problems here. 8/10 It's an accept~
BEGINNER: it's under 2 NPS, only minor compliat are the stops which will derp up the beginner players but it's no biggie. It's good to go. gj DJz. 8.5/10 It's an accept~
Full Accepts from me~ good job DJz
yes I did say that I wanted to review his file.
Hard: Was pretty nicely done. Some of the freezes with jacks underneath don't flow as well as they should but, completely acceptable file. The speed stop gimmick at the end was a nice touch. Accept
Medium: Again nice file, the random 32nd note was oddly placed, you removed the wrong grace note from Hard, the 32nd should have been a 4th. oh well, still great file Accept
Easy: Looks good, niec way of stepping reminds me of the older files on this site. Accept
Beginner: Looks good. Accept
Last edited by Nocturne; 08-02-2012 at 04:09 PM.
now it gets 2 accept WHOOOOOOOOOOOO
- fix beat 0 issue
- Simple chart, nothing really wrong with it. BPM gimmicks towards the end were a good touch, overall difficulty of the chart was appropriate for the song. Accept
- Some of the jump usage in the beginning, when the freezes start kicking in, is questionable but not entirely off-putting. In the hold streams, maybe using single notes for the snare would've been more appropriate for the difficulty, but again not entirely worthy of rejection. Light Accept
2.09: move this red note down by 1/8. look at the med chart, that rhythm starts on a blue note and so should the easy chart's simplified version of the rhythm.
4.61: move red note down by 1/8.
15.34: may want to change 12 jump to single note (1 or 2)
45.65: you may want to remove the jumps to the cymbal crashes here. jump + 8th jack is pretty harsh for easy. also apply to where this repeats throughout the song.
118.24: move red note down by 1/8.
- overall, not too bad, just review the file in light of the notes above. Conditional Accept with fixes
m79: you didn't express the main melody like you did in m83
m89: start the up hold on m88 instead, that way they will experience the gimmick without actually having to play it.
- one minor change, otherwise solid file. Conditional Accept with fixes
you may want to change beginner, i use ddream
98.68: you didn't express the main melody like you did starting at 103.73
111.30: start the hold on 110.04 instead, that way they will experience the gimmick without actually having to play it.
- one minor change, otherwise solid file. Conditional Accept with fixes
Uploaded the revision, there are some sync issues so I am working with DJ to resolve them.
Tested it out, meets my notes so I accept.