Do you even lift, bruv? (Real Fitness Thread)

NocturneNocturne Simfiler and <span style="font-style:italic">Freakin Graphics Master</span>
edited March 2013 in General Discussion
How do you work-out your real muscles? Do you have a set routine in the gym? Alternate muscles each day? etc.

What does your diet consist of? I've been considering eating healthier but haven't pushed myself enough to start doing so. I workout about every three days alternating between Chest/Triceps and Back/Biceps. I don't really do much cardio since I used to do track and XC and that was my Cardio back then. I can only bench about my own weight (160) and leg press almost double that. Other machines it slightly differs how much weight due to the pulleys and resistance chords, but I don't really track those anyways, I'm more off a casual work-out guy.

I tend to eat a lot of junk food, but i try to make up for it with proteins dinners and protein shakes and i drink almost 7 bottles of water everyday.

Any tips to start a more rigorous workout schedule for novices? Are you just starting off yourself?

Comments

• turtleturtle Elite Beta Tester
    edited January 2013
    i do 50 push ups before bed, other than that i eat normally, i do however want to train more at stamina but lazy :3 (btw the christmas raffle is over *nods at signature* xD)
  • iskisk BADministrator
    edited January 2013
    http://www.mensjournal.com/magazine/everything-you-know-about-fitness-is-a-lie-20120504

No personal experience with this (yet), but that article is a great read if you are serious aboot lifting.
  • KaitieKaitie Simfiler
    edited January 2013
    It takes me two tries to get off of the couch.

I don't lift.

edit: I also have erratic eating habits.
  • TheVCRManTheVCRMan Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    what is lift
    no i'm a scrawny **** and dont give a damn about my appearance, so I don't work out and its staying that way til health problems start happening. Lol.
  • kislerkisler Publisher
    edited January 2013
    Nocturne;31060 said:
    I don't really do much cardio since I used to do track and XC and that was my Cardio back then.
    These are such boss sports. Just running in general is great. Probably the toughest part about introducing lifting to a typically cardio lifestyle is getting used to the exercises. At the same time though, mix things up - confuse your muscles a bit and get them to work in different ways by not running the same program every time you're in the weight room.
  • JasonKeyJasonKey BADministrator
    edited January 2013
    I was riding to work daily on a bike, but the winters are wet here in Nor Cal and its fooked up me schedule (that and preschool ect ..)

I also do spin classes twice a week.

I am sucking air though compared to what I WAS doing even 18 months ago. Was all about crossfit and kicking FAR more ass than I am now. I really need to get back to that somehow .. asap too while I still can muster it :)

**reading isk's article
  • NocturneNocturne Simfiler and <span style="font-style:italic">Freakin Graphics Master</span>
    edited January 2013
    kisler;31090 said:
    These are such boss sports. Just running in general is great. Probably the toughest part about introducing lifting to a typically cardio lifestyle is getting used to the exercises. At the same time though, mix things up - confuse your muscles a bit and get them to work in different ways by not running the same program every time you're in the weight room.
    Yeah I love running because I feel naturally healthier doing it, ran from 9th-12th grade. I slacked a lot when Freshmen 15 came in, and started to stay in the dorm room constantly with homework and video games, but I did skateboard to classes which kept me somewhat active. But you're right, adding new exercises to your schedule diversifies the work-out experience. It's pretty much the only reason I switch which muscle groups i work-out at gym visits. I try to make it feel varied and still be on a schedule.
    JasonKey;31093 said:
    I was riding to work daily on a bike, but the winters are wet here in Nor Cal and its fooked up me schedule (that and preschool ect ..)

I also do spin classes twice a week.

I am sucking air though compared to what I WAS doing even 18 months ago. Was all about crossfit and kicking FAR more ass than I am now. I really need to get back to that somehow .. asap too while I still can muster it :)

**reading isk's article
    Geez, i wish I had the will to bike to work everyday. But yeah there's always time! I just got my parents into spending more time in the gym, me and my dad go together a lot, and we just got my mom a trainer. So far so good... I just need to kick myself into gym visits after work since I'm working full-time again and will be swamped when classes come on the 21st, so the sooner i get a schedule going again, the better.
  • Vote4NixonVote4Nixon BADministrator
    edited January 2013
    I used to work out religiously for 3-4 years after 20 years of being overweight/obese and having very little athleticism. I had quite a speedy and drastic transformation, mostly because of how crazy I was when it came to fitness. I've been slacking hard for the past couple of years though, have been perpetually depressed/CBF to do anything, and am nowhere near where I used to be in terms of physique.

o wellz
  • MrTeaMrTea Official Back-Up Simfile Judge
    edited January 2013
    I need to get stronger without getting bigger.
  • JasonKeyJasonKey BADministrator
    edited January 2013
    DefTeaMachine;31105 said:
    I need to get stronger without getting bigger.
    Then the article isk dropped is exactly what you are looking for. Really great read and a nicely sane approach. Great find isk!
  • TheVCRManTheVCRMan Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    Vote4Nixon;31104 said:
    I used to work out religiously for 3-4 years after 20 years of being overweight/obese and having very little athleticism. I had quite a speedy and drastic transformation, mostly because of how crazy I was when it came to fitness. I've been slacking hard for the past couple of years though, have been perpetually depressed/CBF to do anything, and am nowhere near where I used to be in terms of physique.

o wellz
    TIZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :'(
    I'ma buy tiza for a night and we gon have a slumber party and everything will be k :')
  • john101 Junior Member
    edited March 2013
    I go to my bed right 10'O clock and get up early in morning. Then i go for a walk and take some other cardio exercise. I think It is most effective to to keep your self fit. I also eat normaly. Always take low fat in my diet and drink maximum number glass of water.
  • NocturneNocturne Simfiler and <span style="font-style:italic">Freakin Graphics Master</span>
    edited March 2013
    bump, I peaked my leg presses at 520 lbs (5 45's, 1 35 each side). Was actually really impressed to be able to do 10 reps of that much weight. Also, have been eating breakfast every morning (Milk, banana, protein drink)
  • samurai7694samurai7694 Simfiler
    edited March 2013
    520 lbs leg presses, goddamn nice :O

Insanity Workout. 'nuff said. I follow the program and I saw a huge difference in the first month. I went down from 195lbs to 165lbs with it, and I want to get down to 145 (I'm a short guy).

As for diet: I make sure dinner has a big portion of meat/protein with rice or vegetables. Most of the time I drink water (about 7-8 water bottles a day), sometimes milk, sometimes juice. I have 4-5 meals a day. Aside from dinner, I have very small snacks like yogurt, grapes, green apple, trail mix, sandwich. I try not to eat after 6-8pm and just continue to drink water.

This is what I did last year. I plan to get back to this habit soon; hopefully by this Sunday I can get back to doing Insanity since my stitches don't seem to bother me too much.
  • FusionFusion Moderator
    edited March 2013
    In High School I used to leg press 700 no joke. I was 6'3 225lbs did track and football so we worked out as often as possible.

My peak bench press was 250. I've lost a lot of weight since then, but I plan on doing this Insanity Workout along with bulk style lifting. Should be starting as soon as April (:
  • Vote4NixonVote4Nixon BADministrator
    edited March 2013
    TheVCRman;31468 said:
    TIZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :'(
    I'ma buy tiza for a night and we gon have a slumber party and everything will be k :')
    LOL slumber party with FIT BIRDS all day and ALL NIGHT LONG SUN YEEEEEEEE
    Nocturne;36929 said:
    bump, I peaked my leg presses at 520 lbs (5 45's, 1 35 each side). Was actually really impressed to be able to do 10 reps of that much weight. Also, have been eating breakfast every morning (Milk, banana, protein drink)
    who needs 420 SUN when u 520 KENAN THOMPATHOMPSON, SMOKEATOKEASMOKEATOKESON, YEEEEEEEE
    bump. anyone else?
  • My fingers do a lot of working out, if you know what I mean.