Instagram Wants to Sell Your Photos

NocturneNocturne Simfiler and <span style="font-style:italic">Freakin Graphics Master</span>
edited December 2012 in Thought Required

Computerworld - Instagram has alerted its users to a change in its Terms of Use policy, and users are in an uproar about it.
The popular photo-sharing app, which was recently acquired Facebook, said in its new policy that it has the option to license users' photos and sell them to advertisers or other companies.
"Instagram does not claim ownership of any Content that you post on or through the Service," the company says in its new Terms of Use . "Instead, you hereby grant to Instagram a non-exclusive, fully paid and royalty-free, transferable, sub-licensable, worldwide license to use the Content that you post on or through the Service, except that you can control who can view certain of your Content and activities on the Service as described in the Service's Privacy Policy, available here: http://instagram.com/legal/privacy/."
Another part of the Terms of Use concerns advertising: "Some or all of the Service may be supported by advertising revenue," the company writes. "To help us deliver interesting paid or sponsored content or promotions, you agree that a business or other entity may pay us to display your username, likeness, photos (along with any associated metadata), and/or actions you take, in connection with paid or sponsored content or promotions, without any compensation to you."
The changes have a lot of users complaining and threatening to stop using the Instagram service. Twitter lit up with Instagram complaints and jokes.
"That's it! I'm raising my middle finger in each photo I take with Instagram, let's see how they're gonna sell that! #BoycottInstagram," tweeted @MenHumor.
@iamBenLyons tweeted, "Bye Bye Instagram. We hardly knew you. What's next?" while @everywhereist tweeted, "Oh no! That sepia toned photo of last week's sushi dinner has fallen into the wrong hands!"
Instagram did not respond to a request for comment.
Ezra Gottheil, an analyst with Technology Business Research, said Instagram's policy change is causing a big enough flap to create a problem for the company.
"I hope this really is a user revolt," he said. "It is pretty revolting, but Facebook has gotten away with serial violations of privacy in the past. But maybe selling your photographs is a bridge too far."
He added that this has become a big issue because it deals with users' property rights, rather than privacy rights.
"'I'm afraid most Facebook users don't care much about privacy, but apparently, they care about property," he noted. "I like this because it reminds people that their content has value."
Facebook, which now owns Instagram, certainly has seen its share of privacy flaps. Users repeatedly have threatened to stop using Facebook over one privacy issue or another but the company still remains the largest social network in the world, by far.
Will these user complaints actually cause real trouble for Instagram? Gottheil said they might.
Noting that the pictures might not carry much value, Instagram may not want to fight this out with its users.
"I hope it makes them pay more attention to Terms of Use and privacy issues," he said. "Facebook, I think, would actually benefit from being more careful with their users' data."
Instagram's policy changes are set to go into effect Jan. 16.
Read more about Social Media in Computerworld's Social Media Topic Center.
Do you believe this is, in any way, justifiable or right of them? What are your thought? Do you use Instagram? How would you feel having your private photos sold as advertisements?

Comments

• ichliebekaseichliebekase Moderator
    edited December 2012
    Do not use instagram, never wanted to, but I did someone post this on FB and someone commented that facebook is considering doing the same thing. At that point, I'm getting rid of every single picture on facebook because that's just not right. I post photos for friends and family who can't see me or my daughter every day.
  • cheezpuffscheezpuffs Senior Member
    edited December 2012
    To me, instagram is useless. But all these popular things will want to sap our privacy, like Facebook...
    I've seen this thing Lifehacker wrote saying the more private alternatives to popular things, I'll try and find it...
  • MrTeaMrTea Official Back-Up Simfile Judge
    edited December 2012
    Ad then my instigram want rating dropped from 0 to negative 12
  • SpillerSpiller Senior Member
    edited December 2012
    I have stayed away from Facebook for exactly those reasons and I expected them to do this once I heard they bought Instagram. I do not think there is anything wrong with it legally as long users can opt-out and delete their data if they do not accept the new privacy policy changes however.
    I believe user-data is valuable and I'm shocked that people continues to use services which lives by selling it to others.
  • DethHarmonikerDethHarmoniker Junior Member
    edited December 2012
    I've used Instagram once, didn't like it. All my friends like to use it, and slap a vintage filter on every single goddamn photo they take, like they're stuck in an era they didn't exist in.
    Would they at least tell you that they're using your property? Or give you the option to say no?
  • NocturneNocturne Simfiler and <span style="font-style:italic">Freakin Graphics Master</span>
    edited December 2012
    DethHarmoniker;30332 said:
    I've used Instagram once, didn't like it. All my friends like to use it, and slap a vintage filter on every single goddamn photo they take, like they're stuck in an era they didn't exist in.
    Would they at least tell you that they're using your property? Or give you the option to say no?
    It says they own the right to sell your photos for commercial in the terms of service, If you say no, you don't have permission to use Instagram. Simple as that.

They're telling you they're taking your photos and if you don't like it,go somewhere else. And Facebook owns Instagram so FBook is considering doing the same.
  • TheVCRManTheVCRMan Senior Member
    edited December 2012
    I'm antisocial so none of this matters to me, lol. Seems lame that they could do that though.
  • SilverSneakersSilverSneakers Junior Member
    edited December 2012
    I never used instagram before, and I definitely wont now. Sheesh

Edit:// Ah, just read her post. still wont use it though (never did)
  • SpillerSpiller Senior Member
    edited December 2012
    http://blog.instagram.com/post/38252135408/thank-you-and-were-listening
    They redid the privacy policy because all the rage about it. They say it was wrongly formulated and expressed something they did not intend.
    Kevin Systrom co-founder, Instagram said:
    Ownership Rights Instagram users own their content and Instagram does not claim any ownership rights over your photos. Nothing about this has changed. We respect that there are creative artists and hobbyists alike that pour their heart into creating beautiful photos, and we respect that your photos are your photos. Period.

I always want you to feel comfortable sharing your photos on Instagram and we will always work hard to foster and respect our community and go out of our way to support its rights.
    Whether this is the truth or if Instagram really did intend to monetize user-summited photos is a topic for conspiracy theorists.
  • kislerkisler Publisher
    edited December 2012
    xkcd got it right: