3 million square feet

JasonKeyJasonKey BADministrator
edited March 2011 in Thought Required
Google is down with New York City.

So down, in fact, that the web search titan just dropped $1.9 billion to acquire one of the largest and most historic buildings in all of the Big Apple. At nearly 3 million square feet, 111 Eighth Avenue, the former Port Authority building, sits like a beached, red-brick cruise ship overlooking New York’s Chelsea neighborhood. The building is so big, in fact, that it has elevators large enough to accommodate 18-wheel semi-trucks.

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/12/google-nyc/

All I can say is .... Go Kart Track!

Comments

  • TasselfootTasselfoot TS Game Guy
    edited December 2010
    crazy.
  • PsychoPsycho Junior Member
    edited December 2010
    Fantastic. With all of this new/extra space hopefully they will also be hiring, and hiring for positions that I could fill...
  • TasselfootTasselfoot TS Game Guy
    edited December 2010
    I know Kroz (Bix's college roommate, and dude I went to HS with) is looking to move to NYC and take a job with Google.
  • FlashpantssFlashpantss Music Maker
    edited January 2011
    Buying a huge building is only going to increase space by what? Hopefully this will open more jobs, but google seems to be working fine the way they are. So why buy such a big building?
  • DrTranDrTran Simfiler
    edited January 2011
    its going to be their evil lair where they will make further plans to take over the world
  • JasonKeyJasonKey BADministrator
    edited January 2011
    DrTran;4157 said:
    its going to be their evil lair where they will make further plans to take over the world

    their OTHER evil lair ..
    Friendster .. the only social network anyone needs
  • DobbyDobby Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    JasonKey;3234 said:
    The building is so big, in fact, that it has elevators large enough to accommodate 18-wheel semi-trucks.

    For what purpose does Google need those?...

    World record for the most offices in an elevator!!
  • JasonKeyJasonKey BADministrator
    edited January 2011
    Dobby;4191 said:
    For what purpose does Google need those?...

    World record for the most offices in an elevator!!

    Jinormous computer room ... To store SkyNet and give it room to play
    Friendster .. the only social network anyone needs
  • DobbyDobby Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    JasonKey;4194 said:
    Jinormous computer room ... To store SkyNet and give it room to play

    That's infinitely less cool than my idea
  • HokageHokage Junior Member
    edited January 2011
    That's a weird combination of rad' and just outright insane...

    I like it.
  • Joel Junior Member
    edited January 2011
    I know, they just bought my former house!
  • FlashpantssFlashpantss Music Maker
    edited January 2011
    But in all seriousness, why would Google need something that big? To preserve the building? hold world records?
  • JasonKeyJasonKey BADministrator
    edited January 2011
    Flashpantss;4798 said:
    But in all seriousness, why would Google need something that big? To preserve the building? hold world records?

    They just owned new York!

    Biggest data center freaken anywhere
    Friendster .. the only social network anyone needs
  • FlashpantssFlashpantss Music Maker
    edited March 2011
    JasonKey;4803 said:
    They just owned new York!

    Biggest data center freaken anywhere

    I just thought of why they might need a building that big. Since Google records things on tapes, since servers and databases can sometimes have faulty and corrupted information as well as lose information.

    Maybe they record and stash their tapes in that building.

    Maybe?
  • JasonKeyJasonKey BADministrator
    edited March 2011
    Flashpantss;5949 said:
    I just thought of why they might need a building that big. Since Google records things on tapes, since servers and databases can sometimes have faulty and corrupted information as well as lose information.

    Maybe they record and stash their tapes in that building.

    Maybe?

    God, I hope they aren't storing on tape .. that is a scary thought :D
    Friendster .. the only social network anyone needs
  • FlashpantssFlashpantss Music Maker
    edited March 2011
    JasonKey;5950 said:
    God, I hope they aren't storing on tape .. that is a scary thought :D
    http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/web/03/01/gmail.lost.found/index.html?iref=allsearch

    about half-way down.

    "So it was a software glitch. Makes sense. But how did the company recover all of this data if the glitch traveled so widely so quickly?
    Answer: Google still stores e-mail data on tape.
    Yes, tape. Like, essentially the technology behind the cassette. Google doesn't specify what kind of tape it's using exactly, but as Seth Weintraub notes on a blog on the CNN partner site Fortune.com, using tape is a mess."
  • JasonKeyJasonKey BADministrator
    edited March 2011
    Flashpantss;5951 said:
    http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/web/03/01/gmail.lost.found/index.html?iref=allsearch

    about half-way down.

    "So it was a software glitch. Makes sense. But how did the company recover all of this data if the glitch traveled so widely so quickly?
    Answer: Google still stores e-mail data on tape.
    Yes, tape. Like, essentially the technology behind the cassette. Google doesn't specify what kind of tape it's using exactly, but as Seth Weintraub notes on a blog on the CNN partner site Fortune.com, using tape is a mess."

    Oh my .. god .. that's a painful thought.
    Friendster .. the only social network anyone needs
Sign In or Register to comment.