Supreme Court hears a case on copyright and imports

kislerkisler Publisher
edited November 2012 in Thought Required
http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/kirtsaeng-v-john-wiley-sons-inc/

This case involves "gray market" sales, which mean buying something legally in one country and attempting to resell it in another country without the copyright holder's permission. However, it also calls into question the business practice of segmentation, the practice of selling substantially the same product in different places for different prices. All because a kid made money off reselling his textbooks on eBay.

Comments

• NocturneNocturne Simfiler and <span style="font-style:italic">Freakin Graphics Master</span>
    edited November 2012
    I forgot that selling your textbooks online to help someone who needs it for cheaper became a more.
  • SpillerSpiller Senior Member
    edited November 2012
    My friend recently brought his textbook on ebay and when he received it, it said: "Only for sale in India". I'm looking forward to see what it will say went I receive mine!

Law is a complete mystery to me though and I don't understand the contents of that link...
  • kislerkisler Publisher
    edited November 2012
    Spiller;27717 said:
    My friend recently brought his textbook on ebay and when he received it, it said: "Only for sale in India". I'm looking forward to see what it will say went I receive mine!
    Haha, I have a copy that says "Professional Use Only - Not For Resale." So much for that! I bought it in-person though. Apparently the seller still ignored that condition.