KBO: Looking for programmer to pick up

stargroup Junior Member
edited June 2012 in Code & Art
CosmoVibe here. Some of you here might recognize me from FFR. I am currently looking for a programmer to pick up a project that is currently underway, as the previous programmer cannot make time anymore.

The project is known as KeyBeat Online, located at http://www.keybeatonline.com/. It is an online free-to-play (and nonprofit) Flash rhythm game, just like FFR and ThirdStyle.

We are looking for a programmer who is fluent with AS3 and object-oriented programming. There aren't any hard deadlines, but there should be significant progress over time.

Anyone who is interested or has questions can reply here or email me at [email]bufangliang@gmail.com[/email].

Comments

• BloodyyBloodyy Elite Beta Tester
    edited June 2012
    STARGROUP
  • SirRhythmSirRhythm Chat Mod
    edited June 2012
    rip kbo
  • ErickProdigyErickProdigy Simfiler
    edited June 2012
    rip kbo~~~

Seriously though, we have troubles keeping this site coded and cleaned through, I don't know if you can have as much as one entire person to work frequently on a seperate game.

Also, competing rhythm gaming sites asking the other for help... WHAT HAS THIS WORLD COME TO
  • JonnyJonny StepCloud Mod
    edited June 2012
    ErickProdigy;21423 said:
    rip kbo~~~

Seriously though, we have troubles keeping this site coded and cleaned through, I don't know if you can have as much as one entire person to work frequently on a seperate game.

Also, competing rhythm gaming sites asking the other for help... WHAT HAS THIS WORLD COME TO
    who said anything about competing? he didnt, and why should games compete?
  • NocturneNocturne Simfiler and <span style="font-style:italic">Freakin Graphics Master</span>
    edited June 2012
    If anything, KBO should just come help us. We're in decent shape and could always use help.

Also, rip KBO, it was a fun game.
  • stargroup Junior Member
    edited June 2012
    It is true that I am not interested in competing. However, I have a different approach to this kind of game, which is why I'd much rather work on a new game than help an existing community. It's not that I dislike any of the other sites/games, but I simply prefer my own project over them.
  • AsphyxZeroAsphyxZero Simfiler
    edited June 2012
    stargroup;21427 said:
    It is true that I am not interested in competing. However, I have a different approach to this kind of game, which is why I'd much rather work on a new game than help an existing community. It's not that I dislike any of the other sites/games, but I simply prefer my own project over them.
    help ts implement 6key
    they already have a 6key mode on stepcloud, you should work on that (o:
  • SkRAWRkSkRAWRk Simfiler
    edited June 2012
    I really liked KBO's engine and it's random pattern generator. :c

And yeah, no one's in competition here, you just choose the site(s) you like and use them, no need to hate.

Also, what Choof said, it'd be pretty sick to have a stepping/Solo veteran helping out. :')

By the way, did you ever get that algorithm finished?
    edited June 2012
    There are a lot of ways that I disagree with TS and I have no idea what stepcloud is.

That algorithm was finished, yes, but in order to tweak it properly it needs to be implemented and tested.
  • cheezpuffscheezpuffs Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    'Fraid I can't help, though it would be great to. Can't code to save my life.

StepCloud is the TS-siderunner which produces the charts, only accessible by Steppers, they co-ordinate the arrows / notes to any music they can get permission for via the artist(s). It's a simple but complex system

I'd love to be a stepper, it'd be fun to be one, though.. I doubt I'll ever be one *okay face*
  • NocturneNocturne Simfiler and <span style="font-style:italic">Freakin Graphics Master</span>
    edited June 2012
    stargroup;21451 said:
    There are a lot of ways that I disagree with TS and I have no idea what stepcloud is.

That algorithm was finished, yes, but in order to tweak it properly it needs to be implemented and tested.
    Not like KBO was anymore perfect. It all has flaws.
  • SaphiraSaphira Simfiler
    edited June 2012
    cheezpuffs;21452 said:
    'Fraid I can't help, though it would be great to. Can't code to save my life.

StepCloud is the TS-siderunner which produces the charts, only accessible by Steppers, they co-ordinate the arrows / notes to any music they can get permission for via the artist(s). It's a simple but complex system

I'd love to be a stepper, it'd be fun to be one, though.. I doubt I'll ever be one *okay face*

All it is really is a place sim artists can upload their files to a TS engine and play test them. It's not quite as complicated as you make it sound.
  • SkRAWRkSkRAWRk Simfiler
    edited June 2012
    Saphira;21457 said:
    All it is really is a place sim artists can upload their files to a TS engine and play test them. It's not quite as complicated as you make it sound.
    Yeah, you made it sound like it's actually for stepping the files themselves. You still have to use DDReam or the SM editor for that. :p Also, isn't "a simple but complex system" an oxymoron? xD
    edited June 2012
    The only real thing that KBO had on other engines was... you guessed it, 6-key. At one point, it was all well-known solo files using copywritten music but once there were enough CC songs, they deleted most of the files.

Then KBO was never updated and now it's on it's last breath.

I don't see why you would have anything against TS, stargroup.
  • GuestGuest Member
    edited June 2012
    AsphyxZero;21569 said:

Then KBO was never updated and now it's on it's last breath.
    TS is different how? Oh right, because they upload shitty charts somewhat daily, forgot bout that, not like the game needs to update despite it being extremely far behind from day one, but as long as it can continue to be filled with charts by people who think they can step I guess its cool.
  • GuestGuest Member
    edited June 2012
    Guest;21570 said:
    TS is different how? Oh right, because they upload shitty charts somewhat daily, forgot bout that, not like the game needs to update despite it being extremely far behind from day one, but as long as it can continue to be filled with charts by people who think they can step I guess its cool.
    Well ya, I agree, but to be fair FFR's engine IS worse... it's just that TS is missing a lot of really obvious stuff in theirs.
  • SaphiraSaphira Simfiler
    edited June 2012
    There's no reason to sit here and argue about any of the games. The reality of it is rhythm gaming as a whole is on a decline. FFR isn't nearly as popular as it once was, neither are games like DDR and guitar hero. Each site has it's problems and all these people going against each other and arguing isn't doing any good for any of the sites. You don't like one or the other, that's fine and dandy, we're all entitled to our opinions. But lets not sit here and bash on it.
    edited June 2012
    Guest;21570 said:
    ???

This post has nothing to do with what I posted rofl. Quality on TS is a bit less than FFR but you know why TS is still better than FFR? Better engine, better scoring system, FOUR DIFFICULTIES FOR EVERY CHART (excluding Thirdstyle Diss but that's a joke file lol).

If you think TS is missing things, then feel free to post your suggestions in... the suggestions thread.
  • Halogen-Halogen- Simfiler
    edited June 2012
    This thread isn't a contest over which site is better. As Kayla said -- we all share a common interest in rhythm games (and rhythm gaming). Arguing about which one (FFR vs. TS) is better is essentially like two deaf people yelling at each other. Both have their advantages and disadvantages, and neither really should be tooting their horn because both have a ton of work to do.

In any event, I don't see why it was absolutely necessary for everyone to come in here and derail Stargroup's request. There are plenty of community members on many sites that have a lot of time on their free hands and don't show it until they feel like they want to take initiative. A great example of this is ITG player ArchiVeflax, who decided to take the reins of GrooveStats, the main hub for online scoring tracking in the ITG community. Before he took over, it was limited only to official charts. Now, it handles all sorts of custom content, and looks better than ever.

There are many people with the skills and talents worthy of working on a project that Stargroup requires, and this thread really should be serving that purpose and nothing else.
    edited June 2012
    AsphyxZero;21569 said:
    I don't see why you would have anything against TS, stargroup.
    I never once said I had anything against TS. I simply said I disagreed with the it. I have different objectives and views as to what I think an online flash rhythm game should be. I believe I made this clear multiple times on many different occasions in the past.
  • TheFDTheFD Music Maker
    edited June 2012
    NON-PROFIT RHYTHM SITES MUST COMPETE
    TS HAS BIGGEST PENIS