the SOPA...

cheezpuffscheezpuffs Senior Member
edited January 2012 in Thought Required
I've heard that the SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act) Is thinking about censoring the internet completely, and plans to do it. something to do with pirates...

I've also heard that Google, Facebook, and Twitter are closing down on the 21st January to protest, and I think 9gag is too, for a joke, i guess.

people put pics like this around:
and I'll be honest, I couldn't give a **** about this, If they have millions, if not, billions, I don't see why they're so worried about a mere £1/$1!
things were MADE to be watched or listened to, regardless if you pay for them or not!!

not too sure if this is true... but I know we're all screwed if the SOPA succeed...

What are your thoughts about this?

if it DOES go through:

Comments

• FifthDescentFifthDescent Junior Member
    edited January 2012
    cheezpuffs;16139 said:
    and I think 9gag is too, for a joke, i guess.
    Pfft, who cares about 9gag.

Anyway, I don't know, it's disturbing that this has a chance of passing. But I've heard from certain sources (which I'm not sure are reliable) that Obama plans to veto the bill if it reaches his desk, so that's somewhat reassuring. I know SOPA's gonna make it illegal to post covers of songs, and that affects me since I like to do that kind of thing >_o so I definitely hope it doesn't pass.

The intentions behind the bill were good, but it's really not going to go down well if it passes in this form. I understand that they want to stop piracy, but they're taking it to a whole new level, and it's ridiculous.
  • kislerkisler Publisher
    edited January 2012
    It's the ambiguity that scares everyone. I've actually read this bill, and it's so open-ended that the government could actually censor the Internet in any way they desire, just like how it can now detain any American indefinitely for suspected terrorism or connections to terrorism.

I've been browsing around some netlabels and a few have created listings of "SOPA-compliant" music. Particularly Lapfox and Breakbit, who remove their music from these lists based on the songs containing "uncleared samples" of other songs. And based on how many albums are actually going to be available (legally, at least) if SOPA passes, this is going to hit hard.
    edited January 2012
    Yeah, NDAA is pretty alarming too. Kinda hoping the Court nixes it, but that seems unlikely.

There's hope that SOPA won't pass, though, so we'll see what happens.
  • DrugstoreCowboyDrugstoreCowboy Administrator
    edited January 2012
    http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1696462

6th reply down is a U.S. Congressman that plays League Of Legends. If you read the first few pages of that thread, it's pretty cool to see how he is and where he stands. Also, funny to see him joke about Justin Bieber (kinda)
  • VoluptureVolupture Publisher
    edited January 2012
    nope
    THE INTERNET CAN NOT BE CONTROLLED at this point imo
    silly americans trying to protect copyright and stuff, they're too late.
    GO BACK TO EATING YOUR VEGETABLES (pizza)
  • SirRhythmSirRhythm Chat Mod
    edited January 2012
    As i have said before, america is a fascist nation, it is not about the people, it is about all the people with the money and them controlling their interests.
  • FalcoPWNchFalcoPWNch Elite Beta Tester
    edited January 2012
    Even if this bill were to pass, there's an article that says thepiratebay (their main target) is completely immune from it, so it's pretty pointless as that site will still exist and people will still pirate just as much. All it will do is hurt the average person whom doesn't do anything wrong. By the way Reedit is going to protest by blacking out for 12 hours on January 18th so I would hope the rest of the sites would go down on that day too.
  • Vote4NixonVote4Nixon BADministrator
    edited January 2012
    SOPA was made by krooks...vote 4 me instead.
  • SirRhythmSirRhythm Chat Mod
    edited January 2012
    Chances are there may not be too much to worry about, this kind of thing will affect internet users on a global scale, and there will be a serious amount of problems in the US primarily if this bill gets passed. Things will sort themselves out eventually.
  • cheezpuffscheezpuffs Senior Member
    edited January 2012
    let's hope so!
    edited January 2012
    Vote4Nixon;16164 said:
    SOPA was made by krooks...vote 4 me instead.

This.
    SirRhythm;16166 said:
    Chances are there may not be too much to worry about, this kind of thing will affect internet users on a global scale, and there will be a serious amount of problems in the US primarily if this bill gets passed. Things will sort themselves out eventually.
    Yeah, makes sense. It probably won't stand for too long. And those people who want this can all go to China where it's censored anyway ;_;
  • SkRAWRkSkRAWRk Simfiler
    edited January 2012
    It won't stop piracy though. People will always find ways to be pirates, it's inevitable. Sounds pretty stupid from what I've heard. At the most, they're just going to inconvenience the pirates a little and shoot themselves in the foot by being irritating for millions of other people.
    edited January 2012
    agreed, but If the rich people are somewhat billionaires (some of them), I don't see why losing a mere pound or dollar is such a big deal for them...
    edited January 2012
    cheezpuffs;16178 said:
    agreed, but If the rich people are somewhat billionaires (some of them), I don't see why losing a mere pound or dollar is such a big deal for them...
    Well, obviously losing such a small amount isn't really a big deal, but if everyone starts to acquire their stuff for free, then they're in for a big hit.
    edited January 2012
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/events/232028526874851/ Thirdstyle can blackout for 12 hours (8am to 8pm) in protest of SOPA joining Reedit and Icanhazcheeseburger.
  • BloodyyBloodyy Elite Beta Tester
    edited January 2012
    Who's going to notice if TS blacks out? It'll only piss us (the people who play TS) off.
  • JouswayJousway Senior Member
    edited January 2012
    [video=youtube;1w6GtwOvnWM]
    edited January 2012
    Bloodyy;16285 said:
    Who's going to notice if TS blacks out? It'll only piss us (the people who play TS) off.
    The people who play TS and I'm sure many still aren't aware of this, its just for 12 hours in protest which isn't very much time at all.
    edited January 2012
    well, if TS DOES do a 12-hour protest, i highly doubt anyone will hear it, i mean, there are only about 100-200 people here who are quite active, the rest are just noobs, spammers, or left it for something else...

keep TS up, but try a different approach, a way which'll grab other's attention, like FalcoPWNCH's idea of an event, or page note, or something else.
    edited January 2012
    guess that adds confidence... XD
    edited January 2012
    cheezpuffs;16310 said:
    well, if TS DOES do a 12-hour protest, i highly doubt anyone will hear it, i mean, there are only about 100-200 people here who are quite active, the rest are just noobs, spammers, or left it for something else...

keep TS up, but try a different approach, a way which'll grab other's attention, like FalcoPWNCH's idea of an event, or page note, or something else.
    I understand that TS has a small userbase however every little bit helps and the more sites that blackout, the better. Plus it's only 12 hours (8 am to 8 pm) and there's other things to do besides TS such as real life. ;)
    edited January 2012
    agreed. but what now?

are we gonna protest or not?
    edited January 2012
    Haven't gotten an official answer from the admins yet. I can see it as a likely possibility though.
    edited January 2012
    coolio...

I can see you already knew about the SOPA...
    edited January 2012
    I've known about this since Bill S.978 (PIPA) back in July so we have (we the people) done a great job at delaying the hell out of these bills.