Quotes, Memories, Poems, and Thoughts.

XX Elite Beta Tester
edited January 2012 in Thought Required
Post your favorite quotes, lines, poems, or anything that invokes a bit of emotion and/or thought.

Feel free to quote and reply to posts that you really liked.

==
simple possibly isn't realistic, but realistic simply isn't possible.
==

The nuclear arms race is like two sworn enemies standing waist deep in gasoline, one with three matches, the other with five.
==

I'm not as good as I once was, but I am good once as I ever was.
==

Reason exists for those who must rely on it to survive.
==

Without the fear of death, there is no reason to live.
==

Confidence leads to death when ignorant.
==

(Choose one of them, explain why)
A: You can stop time for one hour a day. During that time you don't age but you can't stack hours.
B: A ring that made it so that you absorbed all the knowledge and skills of anyone or any book you touched but it breaks after 2 years. You keep all the knowledge and skills but you can't take abilities.
C: Each day you get 1000 kilograms of any food you want in a bottomless bag.
D: A van that allows you to travel anywhere in the known universe that seats 7 people. You can also breath without oxygen when you're within one kilometer of the car. The van never breaks down or needs petrol.
E: You can rewind time for 1 hour a day. Non stackable and you're the only one who knows.
F: Can turn any photod item into a reality for 3 hours, then it goes back into the photo. No drawings or photshopped. And no repeats of items or photos.
G: 6 pieces of chocolate that give you immortality, and invincibility for 160 years each.
H: A world you can travel to at anytime that's 1/10 the size of earth. You can play god with it for one year, creating animals and plants, caves and lakes. After one year it's set in stone. After that you can invite 10 people to visit when ever you invite them for a year. Then you pick another 10 and so on. World outside slows to almost stop while you're there.
==

Man, because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then he dies having never really lived
==

What are the odds of answering this question right? :
A. 25%
B. 50%
C. 25%
D. 0%
==

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.
==

If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus one day, so I
never have to live without you.
==

The world pulls one way, and then says to go the other.
==

You are appurtenant to the actuality of my subsistence, as you do not veraciously exist.
You are perforce a diminutive quantum of the arcane of my own cognitive processes*an indomitable, omniscient perspicacity.
You are nugatory; you are of no intrinsic eminence. You are of nihility.
Your erstwhile conjectures are in blatant contravention of the Law of Noncontradiction; your ratiocination has always been vitiated.
This is not a facetious floccinaucinihilipilification; the palpable verity is unequivocal.

That is to recapitulate in ternary asseverations:
(1) You do not have substance.
(2) You do not have properties.
(3) You are but a prevarication.

Do not be bludgeoned by the august verbosity; I am the paramount arbitrator.

Promulgate it to me, ken-coerced entities! Does such prolix axioms vouchsafe solace and dithyrambically assuage the bereft moral onuses of what you had heretofore postulated as an indubitable existence? Or do these nonplused vituperations poignantly asphyxiate you in an inextricable ignominy to even nonchalantly cognize that you are not autonomous of my immaculate apperception?

Your subjective verisimilitude is incommensurable to objective certainty. Coerce this dictum, uncontrived troglodyte, into your convictional poppycock. Emend your quondam ideata by consigning to oblivion the spurious fallibility that permeates you.

Dissertate these revelations, fora patron.
==

Little girls, this seems to say, Never stop upon your way,
Never trust a stranger-friend; No one knows how it will end.
As you’re pretty so be wise; Wolves may lurk in every guise.
Handsome they may be, and kind, Gay, and charming — nevermind!
Now, as then, ‘tis simple truth — Sweetest tongue has sharpest tooth!
==

That's all I have for now. Post 2-5 will be my personal favorites from the thread.

Comments

• XX Elite Beta Tester
    edited November 2011
    "Parallel lines have a lot in common, but they never meet. Ever. You might think that's sad. But every other pair of lines meets once and then drifts apart forever."

"One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor."

We're not all rocket science.
  • XX Elite Beta Tester
    edited November 2011
  • XX Elite Beta Tester
    edited November 2011
  • XX Elite Beta Tester
    edited November 2011
    Reserved Final, Go ahead and post.
  • TheFDTheFD Music Maker
    edited November 2011
    X;13834 said:
    A. 25%
    B. 50%
    C. 25%
    D. 0%
    Love it.

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." -William Arthur Ward

"We never really grow up; we only learn how to act in public."

"Parallel lines have a lot in common, but they never meet. Ever. You might think that's sad. But every other pair of lines meets once and then drifts apart forever."

"To dream of the person you wish to be is to waste the person you are."

"One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor."

"If I throw a stick, will you leave?"

"Friends are like snowflakes, if you pee on them they disappear."

"If you watch Rambo backwards, it’s about Sylvester Stallone healing people with his magical bullet vacuum."

Mine:

We're not all rocket science.

刀口れ'匕 乃モ 丹 刀工匚K
    -Ancient Chinese proverb
  • IntoTheSkyIntoTheSky Junior Member
    edited November 2011
    Friend of mine wrote this.

Hiding in a crowd is where a hero can be found
    But super strength and laser eyes get buried in the ground
    A talent kept so secret, for no one could understand
    How Bruce, Clark and Peter couldn't be like other men
    In a world where difference hurts blending becomes a virtue
    So read your books and magazines and nobody will hurt you
    But the world lacks heroes, drowned in the mundane
    Come fight the crimes unnoticed, to show what we can change

-Felipe Muchado
  • RubberChickinRubberChickin Simfiler
    edited November 2011

(Choose one of them, explain why)
    A: You can stop time for one hour a day. During that time you don't age but you can't stack hours.
    B: A ring that made it so that you absorbed all the knowledge and skills of anyone or any book you touched but it breaks after 2 years. You keep all the knowledge and skills but you can't take abilities.
    D: A van that allows you to travel anywhere in the known universe that seats 7 people. You can also breath without oxygen when you're within one kilometer of the car. The van never breaks down or needs petrol.
    E: You can rewind time for 1 hour a day. Non stackable and you're the only one who knows.
    F: Can turn any photod item into a reality for 3 hours, then it goes back into the photo. No drawings or photshopped. And no repeats of items or photos.
    G: 6 pieces of chocolate that give you immortality, and invincibility for 160 years each.
    H: A world you can travel to at anytime that's 1/10 the size of earth. You can play god with it for one year, creating animals and plants, caves and lakes. After one year it's set in stone. After that you can invite 10 people to visit when ever you invite them for a year. Then you pick another 10 and so on. World outside slows to almost stop while you're there.
    I would have to go with H. Time for a long drawn out Explanation!

Elimination of other choices:
    A - kind of useful but only gives you an extra hour per day all to yourself. This could really only be used for your personal gain (most likely in a bad way). Also when compared to option G it doesn't amount to much.
    C - One I would prefer not to get fat and I honestly don't care what I'm eating as long as it doesn't taste bad.
    D - Cool Idea but It's not guaranteed that you will be safe inside the one Km zone. Plus while the whole exploration thing is cool but it doesn't really suit me. Maybe if it was the Tardis instead... =D
    F - Time altering. Interesting but I don't see this of being any particular use to me.
    G - Being Immortal is definitely cool but I don't think I could find enough things to do to fill up a lifetime as a 18 year old and especially not 9. Becomes more of a burden than a gift in the end I think

Final Three:
    B - I was going to choose this because 2 years is a lot of time to accumulate knowledge/skills (assuming your head wouldn't explode from all of it O.o) and with that you could do so many creative things. You wouldn't have to wait and learn how do everything you could just create! :3 Only potential, and pretty big, downside to this would be if you also gained their personal knowledge. Not only would it change your view of someone but it would also start to mess with your personality. This used to be my first pick but after realizing that huge downside I would have to go with H.
    F - Runner Up (B got demoted twice).At first this seemed really lame to me. Just another whoops made a mistake lets turn back time kinda thing. But you could also exploit it in pretty cool ways. It kinda works like a save file. You can do all the random stuff you want (except dying of course) and if you don't like the outcome you can just reverse the hour a proceed like you normally would have.
    H -The Winner. I really love to do creative things, so this really spoke to me. The only downside to this is the 1 year time limit to build the world.
  • XX Elite Beta Tester
    edited November 2011
    RubberChickin;13873 said:
    I would have to go with H. Time for a long drawn out Explanation!

Elimination of other choices:
    A - kind of useful but only gives you an extra hour per day all to yourself. This could really only be used for your personal gain (most likely in a bad way). Also when compared to option G it doesn't amount to much.
    C - One I would prefer not to get fat and I honestly don't care what I'm eating as long as it doesn't taste bad.
    D - Cool Idea but It's not guaranteed that you will be safe inside the one Km zone. Plus while the whole exploration thing is cool but it doesn't really suit me. Maybe if it was the Tardis instead... =D
    F - Time altering. Interesting but I don't see this of being any particular use to me.
    G - Being Immortal is definitely cool but I don't think I could find enough things to do to fill up a lifetime as a 18 year old and especially not 9. Becomes more of a burden than a gift in the end I think

Final Three:
    B - I was going to choose this because 2 years is a lot of time to accumulate knowledge/skills (assuming your head wouldn't explode from all of it O.o) and with that you could do so many creative things. You wouldn't have to wait and learn how do everything you could just create! :3 Only potential, and pretty big, downside to this would be if you also gained their personal knowledge. Not only would it change your view of someone but it would also start to mess with your personality. This used to be my first pick but after realizing that huge downside I would have to go with H.
    F - Runner Up (B got demoted twice).At first this seemed really lame to me. Just another whoops made a mistake lets turn back time kinda thing. But you could also exploit it in pretty cool ways. It kinda works like a save file. You can do all the random stuff you want (except dying of course) and if you don't like the outcome you can just reverse the hour a proceed like you normally would have.
    H -The Winner. I really love to do creative things, so this really spoke to me. The only downside to this is the 1 year time limit to build the world.
    Except time slows to a near stop, so within that "year" you would basically have an unlimited amount of time to work on it before it was on it's own.
    edited November 2011
    Forgot about that. Well where do I sign up?
  • SkRAWRkSkRAWRk Simfiler
    edited November 2011
    Love the nuclear arms race one, that's really intelligent and it made me laugh.

The one about a fear of death I disagree with personally, but whatever.
    X said:
    I'd have to have B. Seriously.

A - That seems... Fruitless. An extra hour a day is nothing to me and since it'd be only me moving around and doing shit, there's no interaction or nothing to do. It's just for personal gain and it's not even a long time really.
    C - 'Eh, food. No thanks. I barely eat anyway.
    D - That sounds pretty cool, but... I wouldn't like to share it and I'm not sure I'd even use it. It seems like a lot of hassle and I can't see a van being a great method of transportation. There are things out there we weren't meant to see, I'd rather stay here on Earth. There's still plenty to do down here, believe it or not.
    E - 'Eh, what's the point in this one too? The ability to re-live one hour of your life doesn't appeal to me. It's just another hour added on to my time here and it seems stupid. I don't think I'd like to change things I'd already done like this, knowing one specific outcome of something doesn't mean the outcome of another is certain. Plus it'd be easy to abuse for personal gain.
    F - It's just a photo, photographs are taken of real things. I'd hate to revive the dead and have them for 3 hours a day, that would be painful. No, this isn't for me.
    G - This just sounds painful. One life is long enough for me. When my time comes, I just hope to have achieved all I want to and leave gracefully.
    H - This was REALLY tempting, but I'd hate to have such control over an entire world. It'd be too stressful for me and my OCD/perfectionism would mean I'd tweak my designs infinitely. I'd never be able to make what I wanted in that time frame.

B wins for me because it's what I really want from life. I just want to learn and experience things. The knowledge I could gain in 2 years is mind-blowing. Think of all the languages and everything you could learn! This would be like a dream come true for me, it's perfect. <3
    edited November 2011

A. 25%
    B. 50%
    C. 25%
    D. 0%
    If there even is an answer to this (I'm probably just over analyzing this) I would have to say D. There are three different choices, you have 0%, 25% (twice), and 50%. However, 33% Isn't an option so you have 0% chance of getting it right.
  • iskisk BADministrator
    edited November 2011
    X;13895 said:
    Except time slows to a near stop, so within that "year" you would basically have an unlimited amount of time to work on it before it was on it's own.
    "World outside slows to almost stop while you're there." It wouldn't make sense to put a one year limit if the year was in almost stopped time.
  • XX Elite Beta Tester
    edited November 2011
    RubberChickin;13905 said:
    If there even is an answer to this (I'm probably just over analyzing this) I would have to say D. There are three different choices, you have 0%, 25% (twice), and 50%. However, 33% Isn't an option so you have 0% chance of getting it right.
    It's a paradox in itself and has no answer.. If 0% was the correct answer, then you would have a chance at getting it right.

Basically it's "if you choose A then the answer is B, but if you choose B then the answer is A"

You..just..can't..win..
  • XX Elite Beta Tester
    edited November 2011
    isk;13906 said:
    "World outside slows to almost stop while you're there." It wouldn't make sense to put a one year limit if the year was in almost stopped time.
    meh, still there =o

EDIT: sry doublepost
  • MrTeaMrTea Official Back-Up Simfile Judge
    edited December 2011
    The key to happiness is lowered expectations.
  • TheFDTheFD Music Maker
    edited December 2011
    I might pick C, because a lot of money goes toward food. Not only would I save that money, but I could have any kind of food I want forever, easily start a restaurant, open a soup kitchen on the weekends or whatever, and just live my life however I want without really worrying about money. F would be alright, but the only uses are materializing valuable things and selling them to people (which is basically stealing since it'll disappear), and materializing things to have sex with lol. And what's the difference between a skill and ability?
  • kislerkisler Publisher
    edited January 2012
    "Ew, stinky! You haven't taken a shower since last year!"

e: Not my quote, but funny regardless, and interesting to think about given the general relativity we give to even quantified time.

e2: Also, here's something cool from Facebook -
    01000010 01110010 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01101001 01101110 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01001110 01100101 01110111 00100000 01011001 01100101 01100001 01110010 00101110 00100000 00110000 00110001 00110000 00110001 00110010 00110000 00110001 00110010